Development of a Differential Grape Harvesting Methodology
Best, S.
Leon, L.
Quintana, R.
Download PDF

How to Cite

Best S., Leon L., Quintana R., 2015, Development of a Differential Grape Harvesting Methodology, Chemical Engineering Transactions, 44, 295-300.
Download PDF


The Terroir has been recognized as an important factor in wine quality and style, especially in European vineyards. There is currently a need for quantification of the factors that influence the definition of terroir, incorporating indexes that quantify variables such as soil, plant and climate, which has led to the definition of quality zone for differential harvesting. This paper proposes a methodology to develop the “digital information" through use of emerging technologies, which should be used for the study and definition of quality zones on vineyard which allow differential harvesting with replicable protocols. The study took place in Valdivieso Vineyard, Curico, Chile, during the 2012 and 2013 seasons, under the Var. Cabernet Sauvignon. The use of the multispectral imagines and analyze by ICAS Software (INIA Developed) integrated with ferari index (MULTIPLEX RESEARCH ™, FORCE- A), was used for the point sampling and grapes quality quantification using grid model base en NDVI maps. Moreover, the soil and plant information was obtained by the use of equipment as follows, electrical conductivity (EM38), topography and exposure (RTK) and NDVI (Tetracam ADC and ICAS analyze). From the fruit quality index distribution curve (Ferari), 7 rated strata was develop by variety and year, which was used for training the respective model classification of the variables associated with the site. The classification algorithms were based on qualifying Boosting and super vector machines (SVM). For model training, 75 % of the data was used and allowed the remaining 25 % to verify the calculation error (control data). The classification results were 90 %, of well classified area (R2>0.9 and Mean Absolute Error < 0.1). Finally, the well-defined grape quality area develop was used for differential harvest and wine developing. Finally, this development could be used for vineyard management when increase the quality of wines it is the main goal.
Download PDF